Insulation floor  energy through uninsulated floorboards. A layer of underfloor insulation can prevent this and keep your home warmer for longer. It can also reduce draughts. The government has made it easier for homeowners to install this insulation by cutting VAT on energy-saving measures.

The type of underfloor insulation you need depends on whether your house has a suspended timber floor or a solid concrete floor. You will also need to check the building regulations for your property. Those for new build homes will require a minimum U-value of 0.13W/m2K, and those for existing buildings will depend on the structure of your home and the local authority’s requirements.

A good choice for a suspended timber floor is PIR insulation board. This is available from most builders merchants, and it will meet your building regulations needs. It is also available in a wide range of sizes, so you can get exactly the amount you need. It is faced both sides with aluminium foil to provide a vapour control barrier, and it can be held in place by battens or by plastic friction fit supports.

Transforming Solid Walls: The Ultimate Guide to External Insulation

Another option is multifoil insulation. This is available in a variety of thicknesses and it’s particularly suitable for solid floors. It has a layer of wadding between the foil layers to provide an effective insulator, and it can be used on either a solid or a suspended floor construction. You should always lay a damp proof membrane beneath your insulation, and take care to ensure it’s overlapped with the damp proof course in any external walls.

Read More